Saturday, October 22, 2011

Review: DREAMING OF YOU by Barbara Mack


3.5 of 5 stars

Kathleen Donaldson is an oddity in her strict 1800s society. She’s unmarried at 26. She’s bossy and sharp-tongued. Not the usual persona for a young lady looking for a husband. But Kathleen isn’t looking for a husband. She lost the love of her life in a tragic accident and she’s resigned herself to living alone. When the handsome Dr. Duncan Murdoch begins to show her more than a passing interest, she is initially repulsed by him, but is she really?

This is a delightful and passionate short story (~45 pages) about two strong-willed people as they fight against their attraction to one another. The author does a very good job of portraying each of their emotions although I did find a bit of head-hopping in the some of the scenes. Had to reread some paragraphs to figure out whose head we were in.  I loved the secondary characters as well.

My slight criticisms are that I think the story could have been fleshed out a bit more. I didn’t get much of a picture of the society or setting. This would have added to the enjoyment of the story. Also, I do not think the cover does justice to the story. It doesn't portray romance to me at all. Despite this, if you are looking for a quick romance read, I would recommend giving this one a chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.