Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Interview with Annie Anderson, SPELLS & SLIP-UPS


Can you give us a brief overview of your latest book? Is it part of a series?

Spells & Slip-ups centers around Wren Bannister, an oddball witch with one big problem… she can’t do magic. After accidentally blowing up a local apothecary, Wren has been sentenced to 10 years of service with the Arcane Bureau of Investigation, only if she can pass selection school. Otherwise, it’s her head on the chopping block.

 

Do you have a favorite character?

That’s like asking a parent if they have a favorite child. I love them all because all of them—to some degree—are me. They are facets of my personality—the good and the bad—and even though there are a ton of dark parts, I like the way my twisted little mind works.

 

Have you ever had a minor character evolve into a major one? Did that change the direction of the novel at all? Did the character become the hero/heroine of their own book?

Of course! Maxima Alcado started out as a tiny blip of a character in the Phoenix Rising series. As soon as she made it onto the page, my readers loved her and that was how the Rogue Ethereal series was born.

 

What factors influenced your decision to self-publish your book(s)?

The freedom. Traditional publish is great, but after being in the military and having people tell you what to do for so long, the thought of handing my work over to someone else, to answer to someone else, to do what someone else wants me to do just grated. Self-publishing allows me the freedom to write what I want, when I want, and how I want. 

 

What is your writing process? Do you listen to music or do you like silence?

A bit of both. Sometimes I need the music to get me to the right headspace, and sometimes I’m already there, writing up the incident report as it plays out in my head. 

 

Do you outline your story or just go where your muse takes you?

Again, both. Usually I outline with broad strokes, drilling down on the plot points as necessary, but at about the 50% mark, my characters hijack the train in my head and jump the tracks. 

 

Did you hire an editor to review your manuscript before publishing?

Of course. Good editors are gold and can take a manuscript to new heights. I absolutely love my editor and wouldn’t trade her for anything.

 

Is your book available in audio format? Briefly describe how your narrator was chosen?

Spells & Slip-ups will be available in audio but is currently in production. I used the female narrator from previous works, and she referred a friend for the male part. Funnily enough, I combed through narrators, and Cassandra’s stood out because the first line she ever said was “Motherf**cker!” If anyone knows my mouth (I speak fluent sailor with a trucker dialect) you know that is what sold me on her.

 

Do you find it difficult to juggle your time between marketing your current book and writing your next book? Do you try to write everyday or carve out certain times during the week?

No, but I have a fabulous team that keeps me on track when it comes to marketing. I do not write every day, but I do have a writing cycle which allows me plotting time, project spin-up time, and marketing time. Also, I strive to take weekends off. 

 

Some fun facts about you, which do you prefer – dogs or cats? Chocolate or vanilla? Coffee or Tea? Talk or Text? Day or Night?

 

Dogs (I’m allergic to cats)

Chocolate (always) 

Both (but coffee is a must in the morning) 

Both. It depends on if I want to speak or not, or if texting is getting annoying. 

Night. 


Spells and Slip-ups
Annie Anderson
(The Wrong Witch, #1)
Publication date: July 5th 2022
Genres: Adult, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy

I suck at witchcraft.

Coming from a long line of famous witches, I should be at the top of the heap. Problem is, if there is a spell cast anywhere in my vicinity, I will somehow mess it up. As a probationary agent with the Arcane Bureau of Investigation, I have two choices: I can limp along and maybe pass myself off as a competent agent, or I can fail. Miserably.

Worse news? If I can’t get my act together, I may not only be out of a job, I could also lose my life.

Whose idea was this again?

Goodreads / Amazon


Author Bio:

Annie Anderson is a military wife and United States Air Force veteran. Originally from Dallas, Texas, she is a southern girl at heart, but has lived all over the US and abroad. As soon as the military stops moving her family around, she’ll settle on a state, but for now she enjoys being a nomad with her husband, two daughters, an old man of a dog, and a young pup that makes life… interesting.

Website / Goodreads / Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / Pinterest


GIVEAWAY!

Hosted by:
XBTBanner1


 

1 comment:

Your post will be published after administrator approval.