Monday, October 24, 2011

Interview with M.R. Gott


Briefly describe your journey in writing your book. 
I have been writing stories for years, nothing ever came to fruition, the ideas were more than my ability to properly present.  Where the Dead Fear to Tread began as a short story, and then was methodically mapped out scene by scene.  The short story became the first chapter and after mapping out the plot I jumped to the last chapter to ensure everything matched up and stayed on track.

What genre are your books?  Do you write in more than one genre?
My only published novel is a Supernatural thriller or Horror, though it does not fit neatly into any single genre.  Everything I write is greatly influenced by the old detective and adventure pulps of the 30’s into the 50’s. 

If you write in more than one genre, do you use a pen name?
I intend to keep the name M.R. Gott on everything I get published.

Did you query agents and traditional publishers?  Did you receive an offer of representation or a book contract?
I sent multiple query letters to a plethora of publishers and was contacted by Untreed Reads and offered a contract.  I did not attempt to contact agents. 

What factors influenced your decision to sign with Untreed Reads?
The Untreed Reads Contract was incredibly fair, all concerns I had before I saw the document were quickly relieved.  The staff and owner have also been incredibly gracious and understanding during the copy edit and publishing process.   

How involved are you during the creative process for your book’s cover design?
I filled out a request form for Dara England and was blown away with the results. 

Do you plan to self-publish any other books or will you stay with Untreed Reads?
I have no intention of self-publishing. 

What kinds of social media [twitter, facebook, webpage, blog, writing forums] are you involved with trying to garner attention for your book(s)?
I have a web presence on facebook, and goodreads.  I also maintain a blog at http://wherethedeadfeartotread.blogspot.com/.  It contains all relevant professional information regarding my writing as well as film and book reviews.  I also provide links to articles analyzing many facets of the horror genre. 

How do you feel about the world of digital publishing?  Do you think it will replace traditional publishing one day?
Traditional publishing will never be replaced.  Digital publishing allows small titles a greater chance to succeed.  My book is available world wide at a low cost to the publisher.  Digital publishing also allows small rare titles to be purchased at a fraction of the price. 

What is the biggest thing you’ve learned during your journey as an author?
How working with seasoned professionals can develop my skills with such quick results. 

Do you have any advice for new authors?
Don’t be obstinate with your editors and publishers.  Listen to all feedback.  They took the time to read it, take the time to listen.

What’s next for you?
The Manuscript for ­Where the Damned Fear Redemption the follow up to Where the Dead Fear to Tread has been completed and the editing process can now begin.  I have a few short stories that should hopefully be seeing the light of day soon.    If there is a market for my work I will produce to meet that need.  

Where the Dead Fear to Tread is a tale of hard-boiled macabre, bridging numerous genres to reveal a story of horror, crime and revenge.

Available from the Untreed Reads Store, Amazon and most major e-book retailers for $4.99

Author Bio
M.R. Gott is the author of the novel Where the Dead fear to Tread and the forthcoming sequel Where the Damned Seek Closure. You can visit M.R. at his website Cutis Anserina at http://wherethedeadfeartotread.blogspot.com. Aside from contacting M.R. you will find his collection of book reviews and a list of small horror films you may have missed. M.R. lives contentedly in central New Hampshire with his wife, and their three pets. Aside from writing M.R. enjoys dark coffee, dark beer and fading light.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.