Monday, March 28, 2011

EVERY BOX HAS A LID


by Misty Baker of Kindle Obsessed
A few months ago, (right in the middle of a heated argument about the complexities of Follett versus Creasey) I realized something. We are naive. 

Our culture has groomed us to "like" certain things. We are fed the "New York Times" best-seller lists as if it was candy. "Here you go kids...Grade A, teeth rotting literary gold. Dig in!" We scour "Entertainment Weekly" in hopes of being led to cinematic greatness, watch reality TV with journals in our hands, feigning devastation if we fail to compile the latest trends in fashion, and spend $4.00 on a bottle of water, simply because we saw Brad Pitt carrying it, (while at the same time bitching about the cost of gas) We are an impressionable breed of creatures; are we not?

Now, I'm fully aware that what I'm saying to you is a tad hypocritical, that bashing my "own kind" (aka reviewers) is slightly unorthodox, hell... even frowned upon, but sometimes it's important to cross lines, make waves, say "enough is enough."

What am I talking about exactly?  Indie books. (stop rolling your eyes!)
I am asked on a daily basis why I review indie books, and the answer is very simple.  They are books. Yes... yes... I know what some of you are thinking. "What makes you think it's going to be worth a damn?" And to that I say "What makes you think it's not?"

When did the words "indie book" start meaning "piece of crap?"  There are hundreds of thousands of you out there that don't feel that way about the words "indie music" so why should you feel that way about a book?  The fact of the matter is... we are no longer living in '40's where eBooks are a far fetch (if even thought of) idea.  Life has changed, the way we operate on a daily basis has changed, so why shouldn't our frame of mind change?

I have been reading (and reviewing) indie books for almost 2 years now.  I have (at the same time) also been reading traditionally published books. Do you want to know what the difference is? Price.
That's right... the only significant difference I can find between the two is the price I pay when purchasing it. 

There are some shit indie books out there, (we all know this) but if we are being honest with ourselves, there are just as many traditionally published pieces of crap.  As a matter of fact I just finished one that made me want to hurl it into a sink hole.

Who's to say, that if Stephen King was offered the chance to self publish "Carrie" way back in the day, that he wouldn't have jumped at the opportunity to do so?  It's important for us to remember that at one point, EVERY AUTHOR WAS AN INDIE AUTHOR, doing what thousands of others are doing right now... writing the "Next Great American Novel" in their sports equipment, laundry laden basements.
So I issue this challenge, from one avid book reader to another. Step outside of your comfort zone.

Am I insisting your trash on the Big 6 and never buy another book at Barns and Noble? Of course not... that's completely ridiculous; what I AM asking, (however) is that you don't lock yourself into societies man made bubble. Make up your OWN mind on what you deem worthy of your time, attention, and money. It is, after all, YOUR time, attention, and money.

3 comments:

  1. You are so right. I have two books out there that I am sure would never of been out if indie publishing was not available. Several say they are poorly edited; I've read several traditional published books that I find something on every page. I guess it's just going to be the next big thing; indie movies had their big day, music as well, guess books have to be next. Maybe we'll all ride the wave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, value and price are two different things! The indie label will be meaningless in a year or two.

    Scott Nicholson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misty, your blog has been listed as a resource on my website for almost a year. I found it on accident. Hopefully you aren't getting inundated with lots of crappy self-published books. We all know they are out there. But there are some real gems, too. Thanks for agreeing to give self-published and indie authors a chance.

    Indie Book Reviewer List

    ReplyDelete

Your post will be published after administrator approval.