Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Interview with Dani Amore


Can you give us a brief overview of your latest book? Is it part of a series?
The book is called BEER MONEY and it’s the first in the Burr Ashland series. Burr is a private investigator in Milwaukee looking into the murder of his best friend, a history professor at Marquette University.  Burr ends up rediscovering the trail of a cold case that involves sex, blackmail and murder.

Do you have a favorite character?
I obviously had a lot of fun with Burr Ashland.  Having lived in Wisconsin, and developed a fine appreciation for beer, he’s someone I would love to hang out with and do “research.”

What is your writing process? Do you listen to music or do you like silence?
I write early in the morning, jacked up on strong coffee.  I do like to listen  to music, mostly classical or jazz.  Anything without lyrics, which I find distracting.

Do you outline your story or just go where your muse takes you?
I do outline, but then I end up revising the outline extensively as I write the first draft.  I usually only finish the outline after I finish the first draft.

Did you hire an editor to review your manuscript before publishing?
Absolutely.  An editor is essential as is a team of proofreaders.

Did you hire a graphic artist for your book cover? Were you actively involved in the creation?
I had a friend do my original book and then I tweak that design for each new book.  It’s something  I love to do and I enjoy working with InDesign and Photoshop.

Besides Amazon, are there any other sites where your books are for sale?
I’m on Barnes & Noble, Kobo, and the iBookstore. 

Do you find it difficult to juggle your time between marketing your current book and writing your next book?
Well, it’s probably a little bit easier for me because I really only write in the morning, so it’s easy for me to separate the book writing from the book marketing.

What advice would you give a new author just entering into the self-publishing arena?
Write the best book you can and keep going.  Each book will be better than the last and your audience will grow.

What’s next for you?
The sequel to BEER MONEY, it’s called NAKED ALE.  I’m doing a lot of research for this one, just ask my local bartender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.