Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Interview with Pauline Creeden


Can you tell us about your challenges in getting your first book published?
In the beginning, I became a blogger, and made connections with several authors, some published by small press, some by large, but most were self-published. I learned the ins and outs of becoming published, and put my foot out there with a few Christian Devotionals that I intended to make free, and by writing short stories which I sold to magazines.  In 2011, I completed and won my first NaNoWrimo – that book, Abiding Flame, will be published by Prism Book Group this summer.

Where do you get your ideas?
For my fiction, I tend to write better when I have a concept, a goal or a writing prompt. It’s the situation or the problem that intrigues me. Then I create a character who must deal with this problem.

What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?
In First Impression, I really have a penchant for the beginning, so I love the whole opening scene. And my opening line has gotten been getting good feedback from critics, so I’m very happy with it.

How did you come up with the title?  
Ben Oscuro, my enigmatic love interest (book boyfriend), can see ghosts. He declares that there are only two kinds within the story. Impressions and possessions. I used that and the fact that Ben and Chira are just beginning to get to know each other to come up with the title.

Is there any particular author or book that influenced you in any way either growing up or as an adult
Stephen King was my favorite author when I was in high school, and though I stopped reading his books after college, I still prefer a dark, character based tale. But when I became a writer, I kept had this fear niggling in the back of my mind that I was doing it wrong. I didn’t start with outlines. I didn’t plot it out. And I never knew the ending when I started. It stifled me, and I couldn’t ever finish anything. Then I read Stephen King’s On Writing and found out that he writes in exactly the same manner as I did. My eyes were opened. I confidently strode to my laptop, and now have more than 4 finished novels and 3 partials.

What do you do when you are not writing?   
My day job – I’m a horse trainer and have several state champion hunters and jumpers to my name. I teach riding lessons. The work around a farm is never done. I also read. A lot. And reviewing books is also one of my favorite hobbies.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.