Friday, September 10, 2010

Review - The Zagzagel Diaries: Forsaken by Bryl R Tyne

5 of 5 Stars

I love to read short stories, but tend to prefer novelettes and novellas.  Word counts of 10,000 to 40,000 words gives the author room to unveil a story and introduce the characters with all the plot twists and turns.  My own short stories tend to be 10,000-12,500 words and I need all of those words to tell my story.  All of this is a preface for my review of “The Zagzagel Diaries: Forsaken.”  

Author Bryl R. Tyne unveils a powerful and moving story in only 3200 words; definitely a gift.  I was blown away by it.  This story focuses on a young man contemplating suicide because of his parent’s reaction to his announcement of being gay.  We find Brett standing on a roof top ledge and he is being observed by his guardian angel Zagzagel, Zag, for short.  It is Zag’s inner thoughts watching the turmoil roiling through Brett that draws the reader in.  Zag has his own pain, his own regrets and, of course, he’s has very strict guidelines from “Big Pappa” on how much intervention he can have in Brett’s decisions, but Zag has feelings for Brett and he disregards his orders and crosses the line.

Without giving anymore more of the plot away, all I can say is that my heart went out to Zag first of all, and then to Brett.  Their brief connection redefines both of them.  In only 3200 words, Bryl has created a masterful story that will stay with you long after you finish reading “Forsaken.” I highly recommend this short story!

    

2 comments:

Your post will be published after administrator approval.