Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Interview with Chris Redding

Briefly describe your journey in writing your first book.
I’ve been writing since I was ten years old. I wrote a story about a lady with lots of cats that garnered me an “A” and the attention of my classmates. Positive attention for once. I didn’t start writing seriously for publication until I was pregnant with my second son more than twelve years ago. I wrote a few books that shall remain nameless and not read. I wrote my first published book, The Drinking Game, and actually had a critique group.  They helped me improve it immensely. I revised it one more time before I submitted it to Wings ePress.  They accepted it and the rest is, well not history, but certainly my history.

What factors influenced your decision to go with a particular agent or publisher? 
I knew several people who had been VERY happy with Wings ePress. One of them Cris Anson, was always effusive about her experience there. Her reaction, among others’, convinced me to try them out.

Are you currently under a traditional publishing contract for future books or do you have manuscripts that you will publish directly for Kindle?
 I have several things going on right now. I have Corpse Whisperer out on Kindle and with Smashwords, which means it is also available on other E-readers such as the iPad and Nook.  Corpse Whisperer was initially published by a publisher that decided to close. I was able to get my rights back and use the edited version to upload to Kindle.  To me it has already been vetted.

Incendiary will be published electronically December 15 and in print in the Spring. Lachesis is a small publisher which has big plans.  Not sure if you consider that a traditional contract.  I see the industry growing and changing so much that what was traditional even five years ago is just one of many ways to get your book published.

A View to a Kilt will be out in 2011 with Echelon Press another small press with big plans. They have the same idea, publish electronically first, then print.

What kinds of social media [twitter, facebook, webpage, blog, writing forums] are you involved with trying to garner attention for your book(s)?
You name it I am doing it. I am on:
I blog at: http://chrisredddingauthor.blogspot.com (I often host authors here.)
Feel free to follow me.
I also hang out sometimes on the Kindle Boards. I’ve learned a lot there.
Lastly, my website is: www.chrisreddingauthor.com

What’s next for you?
Whew! What isn’t. Next year I am unveiling a new writing workshop called Layering: It isn’t Just for Cakes with www.writersonlineclasses.com. They’ve been very supportive and have challenged me to create a workshop beyond my initial one, Show Up Naked:Writing the Male POV. I will also do two deconstructing workshops for www.savvyauthors.com.  One will focus on Legally Blonde and the other will cover Sweet Home Alabama, both movies with Reese Witherspoon. I also have plans on finishing another book, but not sure whether it will be a romantic comedy or another romantic suspense.

Thanks for having me today. You saw my link above. If you want to contact me: chrisreddingauthor@yahoo.com


You can buy Corpse Whisperer at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.