Monday, January 3, 2011

Interview with Kipp Poe Speicher

Available at Amazon:

Briefly describe your journey in writing your first book.
My first book Closing My Eyes Helps Me To See Clearly was actually a film project I spent years trying to put together, but with no money for the budget, I finally just wrote it in a short story format. I figured with the digital publishing craze I’d go ahead and publish it independently and maybe stir up interest while I try to make it into a movie.

Did you query agents or traditional publishers before publishing on Amazon?
No, I have not gone with the traditional publishing. I have been looking to find an outlet for my creative abilities. I chose filmmaking in the beginning because of the digital revolution at that time with mini dv cameras were at a cost that was finally at a point for the general public to have access to it. Now digital publishing is at that point where people with different styles of story telling can find their audience, and not necessarily what a publisher thinks everyone wants to see.

What factors influenced your decision to self-publish?
The freedom to tell the story I want to tell and to have complete control over the content, cover art, and marketing.

Did you design your cover art?  If not, would you care to share your graphic designer’s information? How involved were you during the creative process for your cover?
I have been blessed to have a very talented daughter who is a professional photographer. I give her the general idea of what I’m looking for. Or take a photo she has already shot and we vamp it to fit the style of the story. My newest book Die Already cover art is actually a fashion photo she did of her cousin and she went in and photoshopped the skin tone to make it look gruesome. I think it turned out great.

How did you feel when you got your first sale?  Are you pleased with sales so far?
I was very excited and very nervous wondering if they would like it, but the feedback I have received makes me very happy, lots of positive reviews so far. I am pleased with the sales even if the money is not much. It’s the fans that are following my progress and getting excited to read my next projects.

What is the biggest thing you’ve learned during your self-publishing journey? Networking with other writers is probably one of the most amazing parts of the journey so far. I have met some of the friendliest and most helpful people around. Life-long friendships that all share the same passion, the Art of story telling.

What kinds of social media [twitter, facebook, webpage, blog, writing forums] are you involved with trying to garner attention for your book(s)?
I started a Twitter account years ago not doing much with it, then when I started writing I put more into it and it has become extremely useful. You have to approach it with the fact that it is a two-way conversation and you will get the most out of it. I have been on Facebook for a while also and find it a must for sales and friendships. I also started a blog in May 2010 that has become very popular with all the interviews I post on it of all the other writers and filmmakers I know. The Kindleboards are also a nice place to hang out and meet others with the same passions for reading and writing.

Besides Amazon, are there any other sites where your books are for sale?
Yes I also publish to Smashwords.com.  Once you get your book approved you get into the premium catalog that distributes your book to all the other vendors. I also signed up for Pubit! through Barnes & Noble today and Die Already should be up on there soon. It’s free to do so you might as well take advantage of it and find the biggest audience you can.

What’s next for you?
I’m working on my first novel called Listen and also working on a follow up to Die Already. 80% of the people who read it say they want more of the story about Horace and his wicked curse. So by popular demand in the works is Death According to Horace.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.