Thursday, October 27, 2011

Interview with Tim Black

Briefly describe your journey in writing your book. 
While my daughter Taylor underwent treatment for brain cancer she and I kept diaries.  When my daughter Courtney found Taylor’s diary years after her death I embarked on writing the book as it was Taylor’s intention to have her cancer diary published to inspire other kids with cancer.  Looking over my own diary I realized Taylor’s was far superior and that I could forget my diary and do memories of her at different ages instead.  So Taylor was no longer just a cancer patient but a person. Daydreams and Diaries is the result.

What genre are your books?  Do you write in more than one genre?
Daydreams and Diaries is non-fiction, but I have a YA book The Kids from Cassadaga at SynergEbooks.com.  So I write in both fiction and non-fiction and have used pen names in short stories.

Did you query agents and traditional publishers?  Did you receive an offer of representation or a book contract?
Yes, I queried several agents, but no one was interested.

What factors influenced your decision to sign with Untreed Reads?
I bought the 2011 Writer’s Markets and opened it and there was Untreed Reads.  My thought was: I hadn’t had any luck with traditional methods, so why not try an e-book. Sold it shortly thereafter.  Synergebooks was the same way for the YA book.  Go figure.

How involved are you during the creative process for your book’s cover design?
I sent Untreed a number of photos and they selected one for the cover.

Do you plan to self-publish any other books or will you stay with Untreed Reads?
I haven’t self-published anything yet, but I have a non-fiction book that I am thinking of sending to Smashwords.

What kinds of social media [twitter, facebook, webpage, blog, writing forums] are you involved with trying to garner attention for your book(s)? 
I use Facebook.

How do you feel about the world of digital publishing?  Do you think it will replace traditional publishing one day? 
Do I?  Yes?  When? Hasn’t it already?

What is the biggest thing you’ve learned during your journey as an author? Persistence.

Do you have any advice for new authors?
Keep writing, don’t give up.  I’ve been publishing short stories and feature articles for 35 years but Daydreams was my first book. 

What’s next for you?
Trying to market a sf at the moment.  I ran for school board in 2008 and lost, so I decided to destroy my home town in a novel in response.  It would be fun seeing that published.

I am also starting a novel set in my hometown during WWII. 

1 comment:

  1. interesting little interview. Though heartbreaking about her daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Your post will be published after administrator approval.