Monday, April 2, 2012

Interview with Marie Symeou

Can you give us a brief overview of your latest book?
My latest novel is called Frozen In Time (Blood of the Gods #1). It's the first part in a historical vampire trilogy following an ancient Greek vampire's transformation into a vampire, his longing to destroy the vampire who made him, and his search for the reincarnated soul of his dead wife. It's about how love can transend across time, and death or banishment to otherworldly realms, or the transformation of the lovers into immortal beings.

Did you try the traditional route to publishing, i.e. querying agents/publishers?
I queried a few with Frozen In Time but no success, just as it was with my previous work. It's just so hard for an unknown author to get published, and it's been going on for too long. Publishers are only interested in celebs these days.

What factors influenced your decision to self-publish to Amazon?
I'd been thinking about it for a while, and then I kept coming across all these success stories (like Amanda Hocking) and I thought well, if others are doing it, why should I not at least give it a try? I was tired of waiting for my big break as I have been writing for quite a long time and I'm not getting any younger.

What have you learned during your self-publishing journey?
That it's very hard, and the hard work doesn't end with the writing as it gets even harder trying to market and promote your books, which unfortunately leaves less time for writing.

Besides Amazon, are there any other sites where your books are for sale?
No, just Amazon at the moment. There are also paperback editions of my novels available through CreateSpace.

What kinds of marketing [twitter, facebook, blog, forums] are you involved with for promoting your book(s)?
I use twitter, facebook, goodreads, blogger and my Amazon Author page. I also have a website.

What advice would you give a new author just entering into the self-publishing arena?
Do your research. Find out as much as you can about self-publishing. Join forums like Kindleboards for networking with other indie authors and for lots of up to date advice. Make sure your book is the best you can get it. Edit well and don't rush to publish it. Take your time.

What’s next for you?
Book 2 in the Blood of the Gods trilogy. I am also working on a screenplay and a cat memoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.