Thursday, December 13, 2012

Book Tour Interview with Jill Cooper


Can you give us a brief overview of your latest book? Is it part of a series?  
My latest book is Glistening Haven, first in an eventual series. It’s a dystopian thriller with a social satire slant, but lots of fun. High action and gobs of suspense. It features a desperate housewife racing to save her son, two love sick teenagers, and a kick butt female bounty hunter. When they all come together, sparks are going to fly!

Do you have a favorite character?
It’s hard to really pick one! But my favorite is probably still Natalie Johnson from my YA series. She isn’t always strong, or right. But she tries to do the right thing. And even when she’s bullied or pushed down by her enemies, she strives to stand up and fight.

What is your writing process? Do you listen to music or do you like silence?
To be honest, both! Some days I need absolute silence and other days I need music to write. If a scene is filled with action or very emotional, I need music to connect with the piece.

Do you outline your story or just go where your muse takes you?
I definitely am what they call a ‘pantser!’ I just start writing and see what happens. Glistening Haven I just started writing and it took off like gangbusters. There were no major re-writes (for plot anyway). I only wrote one sentence in my brainstorming document and then the novel just formed itself.  That sentence is actually in the book!  ‘Eighty years ago Hollywood died and took half the country with it.”

Did you hire an editor to review your manuscript before publishing?
Definitely, yes! I hired Jim Thomsen to edit the book, who came recommended from Denise Grover Swank. Definitely worth the money. I wouldn’t want to put out a serious writing effort without it getting professionally edited first.

Did you hire a graphic artist for your book cover? Were you actively involved in the creation?
I did! I hired Designed For Writers, who are on Facebook. It took longer than expected, but it was worth all the time and effort! I was involved in the direction of the cover and the brainstorming.

What kinds of marketing [twitter, facebook, blog, forums] are you involved with for promoting your book(s)?
Promotional Tours, like this one. Plus Twitter (jillybug) and facebook. I am trying to expand, but it’s hard to balance writing with raising a 2 year old, and writing new books!

Do you find it difficult to juggle your time between marketing your current book and writing your next book?
Absolutely! It’s hard to switch your brain from one thing to another especially with a small child in the house who needs your constant attention. I just try my best every day but remember that my daughter is my main focus. Some days it’s hard to push back the writing beast that always wants my full attention, but I do the best I can.

What’s next for you?
I’m working on a Short Novella that will bridge the gap between Demon Royale and Awakening Dreams (Dream Slayer 2 and 3). After that I need to finish writing Awakening Dreams for a 2013 release. I’m also working on editing and getting cover art for 15 Minutes a high octane Time Travel YA thriller. It is going to be epic so I am very excited for the future!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are most welcome. Good luck with the book tour! Wishing you much success.

      Delete

Your post will be published after administrator approval.