Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Interview with Lataeya Lane


Can you give a brief overview of your latest book? Is it part of a series?
Currently I am working on the second book in the Chronicles of the Celestial series. I am in the process of possibly making some changes to the title but the second book continues Sydney's journey to save the Earthly Realm from a great evil. Sydney is getting the hang of using her abilities and embracing her magical birthright. More secrets of her past are revealed as she travels throughout the dimensions to search for a magical being that is wanted within the supernatural world.

Do you have a favorite character?
My favorite character has to be Sydney London. She is beautiful, real loving, strong, resilient and complex at times. Despite the fact that she is a powerful member of the magical community, she is compassionate, relatable and humorous. She is open, embraces her feelings and speaks her mind.

What factors influenced your decision to self-publish your books(s)?
The most important factor that influenced my decision to self-publish is having creative control. With creative control I have the ability to control every aspect of the publishing process.

What is your writing process? Do you listen to music or do you like silence?
My writing process is pretty random. Every time I have the opportunity I write, but it all starts with jotting down a few ideas. I write my books in notebooks first, and then I type them into a document in my laptop. I do not listen to music, I usually have the television on low. It’s easy for me to write with the TV on because when I am writing I am transformed into the characters and worlds I create.  I am not easily distracted.

What have you learned during your self-publishing journey?
The self-publishing journey really has been a literary journey. There are so many aspects of the publishing world that I have been exposed to and other aspects I have yet discover. What I can say about the industry is that it is a consistent process of learning. The industry and process is very detailed and as a self-publisher you must learn to be flexible, patient, and professional.
Besides Amazon are there any other sites where your books are for sale?
My books are also available at Barnes&Noble and Smashwords. There are multiple eBook formats of Swept into the Darkness.
Do you find it difficult to juggle your time between marketing your current book and writing your next book?
It is extremely difficult to balance my time between marketing Swept into the Darkness and writing the other books in the series. I spend a little time everyday on everything. I am a really good time manager so as of now things are falling into place nicely. Book two in the series is complete. I am typing it on the laptop and book three is currently being handwritten. I am writing the final chapters.
Do you outline your story or go where the story takes you?
I use a combination of both. Usually I just go with the flow of where the story takes me but there are times that other ideas about characters and events come into my head. When I am inspired I outline those ideas.

Besides writing to you have any other passions?
I have many passions, I love to paint, draw, read, watch movies, and eat different foods. Experiencing a variety of elements of creativity is my passion.

What's next for you?
There are a few things I have lined up for the near future. I will be starting my own publishing company. I also will begin a new book series. I already have the name for my company and the title of the first book in my post apocalyptic fantasy, which I cannot disclose for copyright reasons. PR announcements will be made at the appropriate times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.