Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Review: FIRST BLAST OF THE TRUMPET by Marie Macpherson


4 of 5 stars

THE FIRST BLAST OF THE TRUMPET is an energetic mix of Scottish history and an intriguing story of a young girl's life gone awry. Elisabeth Hepburn, the daughter of the Earl of Bothwell, falls in love with the poet David Lindsay and imagines a life of love and family, but she soon finds her dream shattered when she is forced into a life as a nun at St. Mary's Abbey. She's a pawn in a man's world.

If you thought a life as a nun was one of peaceful contemplation, you'd be wrong. There is nothing peaceful about this story set in Scotland in the 1500s. The author weaves a fantastic story of intrigue and political maelstrom involving Elisabeth, her godson John Knox, the Catholic Church, Scottish nobles and even the English king, Henry VIII. I thoroughly enjoyed this story especially with so much Scottish real-life history integrated into the story. The characters are expertly portrayed and you'll feel their triumphs and heartaches. My only complaint is that there is not much resolution at the end of the book. I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel to see what happens next to Elisabeth and John Knox, Scotland's great reformer.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

5 comments:

  1. This book is right up my alley. Adding to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really a history buff. If the story is good though I'll read it. This book sounds interesting and I'll give it a try at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this period in history :) Suunds like a fabulous read. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, my mom would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a pretty big history buff when it's presented inside a great story like this...i will definitely be looking this one up!

    ReplyDelete

Your post will be published after administrator approval.