Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Interview with Nicole Kuhn

 
How long before you got your offer of representation/your first contract? Was it for your first novel?
I self published my first book in July of 2012. I wrote a trilogy, Mohawk Moon, Mohawk Sunrise and Storm of the Mohawk (releasing May 1). Last month, less than a year after publishing, I was offered a contract with WheelMan Press for the Tucked In (The Hollywood Files) series I’m writing. I’m also in talks with a second publisher for an alternate new series.

What factors influenced your decision to go with a particular agent or publisher?
WheelMan is a great stepping-stone Publisher. They are great to work with, leaving a lot of control with the author. They also have a lot of connections outside of the Publishing world that will benefit me and my success.

The first two Tucked In books will come out at the same time, and I am really excited, as the cover model Shane Keough https://www.facebook.com/ShanePKeough is just awesome. He makes the perfect Lance Tucker.

Tom Townsend is part of WheelMan Press, and he’s great. Pep talks, answering questions and helping any/every way needed. He’s here to make me successful, and I love it. It’s nice to have some help doing all of this, as I’ve only done it on my own so far. (Not truly on my own, I have the best fans ever! I love all of them)

Did you design your cover art? If not, would you care to share your graphic designer’s information?
I use Ebook Cover Designs by Carey http://ebookcoverdesignsbycarey.com/ She’s amazing, and I’m so happy with every cover she’s made.

What is your writing process?
Honestly, lots of coffee, energy drinks and late nights. I still work a full time job, and have a family to take care of, so when everyone is in bed, I’m up late, music playing and writing away.

Do you use an outline for your books or just go where your muse takes you?
Truth be told, I would have no clue how to make an outline. My stories basically start with a thought or a sentence and just build themselves as I type. Half the time, I have no clue where it comes from.

What kinds of social media [twitter, facebook, webpage, blog, writing forums] are you involved with trying to garner publicity for your book(s)?
Lots of Facebook, Twitter and my blog. I’m constantly doing Giveaways or having games for fun. I spend a lot of time talking to and trying to get to know my fans.

Besides Amazon, are there any other sites where your books are for sale?
Barnes and Noble as well. Can’t leave the Nook readers out :)

Do you find it difficult to juggle your time between marketing your current book and writing your next book?
Not really. It’s pretty easy for me. Although I usually have to yell at myself to get off of facebook and get writing!

Besides writing, do you have any other passions?
Reading, Crocheting and my family. I try to spend as much time with my little one as possible. I know when she gets older she’s not going to let me curl up on the couch with her and read. So, I try to make the most of it now.

What is the best advice you can offer new authors?
It’s a lot of hard work to be successful at this. You need to put in the hours. You can’t just type something up and think it will sell. You have got to advertise yourself. Unless you’re signed with a big publisher, you’re the best promoter you have. And, my big pet peeve, when you get a bad review, don’t comment on it. Do not argue or try to defend yourself. It’s just going to make you look bad.

Author Links:

Buy Links:

2 comments:

Your post will be published after administrator approval.