Wednesday, July 10, 2019

#FREE July 10-14: LOVE BY SECRETS by Debra Elizabeth

LOVE BY SECRETS, Book 1, Age of Innocence Series:

Blurb:
Eighteen-year-old Emily Stanton is excited to attend this season's society balls and begin her search for a husband. She is thrilled when the dashing and handsome Connor Preston begins to show her more attention. After each ball, Emily finds a love note in her drawstring reticule, and she expects a marriage proposal from Connor any day.

When her father objects and forces Emily to accept the proposal from Lady Tisbury's shy nephew, Ethan Richardson instead, her heart is broken. How can she love her new husband when her heart belongs to the man who wrote her such beautiful love letters?

LOVE BY SECRETS is a novel. (~200 pages)

Read for FREE July 10-14, 2019:

Excerpt:

Emily sat at the vanity in her bedchamber, penning a letter.

My dearest Mia,
I find myself quite anxious these days. I couldn’t wait until our next visit to speak of this. I would like your wise counsel on this delicate matter as soon as you are able to write back. Mr. Preston has slipped me several lovely notes, one at each ball these past months, but he has only come to see me once, and he was with Mr. Richardson that particular time. I have no experience in the ways of courtship, and thus turn to you, my dearest friend. How many times did Mr. Giles visit you before he spoke of marriage?
I find myself quite in love with Mr. Preston. How long must I suffer this unbearable wait before he speaks to Papa and me? I so hope to have a wedding as beautiful as yours very soon myself. I am anxiously awaiting your reply.
In loving friendship,
Emily 

She blew on the ink, making sure it was dry before she folded the paper and applied her seal. She got up from her vanity, left her bedchamber and headed for the stairs. “Mrs. Jannell?” she called when she reached the bottom landing.
“In here, Miss Stanton,” Mrs. Jannell replied from the dining room. She was choosing the table linens for the evening meal when Emily found her. “What do you need?”
Emily handed her the letter. “Please have Joseph deliver this letter straight away to Mia; I mean, Mrs. Giles.”
“Of course, Miss Emily. I’ll see to it right away. Would you like tea? I came from the kitchen and the water is hot.”
“Yes, thank you; that would be lovely. I’ll be in the parlor.”
Emily walked down the hall to the parlor and picked up her embroidery hoop. She looked at the piece trying to determine which thread was next, but she found it hard to concentrate. Her mind was racing with thoughts of Connor Preston. Her insides fluttered whenever she thought of him. Would he come today to visit her? What was he waiting for? And what of all the compliments he directed her way? Surely, he did not say those words lightly? The stolen kiss on the balcony had been so unexpected and yet, so magical at the same time. Surely that meant that he had feelings for her, didn’t it? What gentlemen kissed a young lady if he was not ready to propose marriage? But that was weeks ago. Why wasn’t he as prompt with a proposal as Mr. Giles had been with Mia?
Thinking about Mia and Mr. Giles, she was thankful that their cottage was not too far in the country. Joseph should deliver the letter well before nightfall. She missed her friend so much, but at the same time, she was so happy for her. Mia had never looked lovelier. She had positively glowed the first time she had showed Emily around her new home and garden. 
Emily let out a pent-up sigh. The Season was nearly over, and still, she had no serious suitor. Perhaps there was something wrong with her. She hadn’t thought about that, but hadn’t she always tried her best to be kind and considerate to everyone that crossed her path? She couldn’t remember saying an unkind word to anyone, not even those who had directed cruel gossip at Mia. Why couldn’t she attract a serious suitor?

Reviewer Comments:

"As a fan of the incredible Jane Austen ... this novella was a real treat for me to read. The author does a wonderful job with descriptions, such as when she describes Emily's first ball as a kaleidoscope of colors as the couples dance the night away."

"Love by Secrets is a sweet, bite-size love story. ... I really liked the time period the book was set in. It reminded me of Pride & Prejudice in that regard." 

 "The story was captivating, truly well-written.....Overall, Love by Secrets was an enjoyable, quick read. The author did a good job in conveying all the right elements of a sweet historical romance and I look forward to continuing the series, as well as read her other works. I recommend giving this one a try.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.