Saturday, January 15, 2011

Review of Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox

2 of 5 stars

I downloaded this book during a free promotion on Amazon.  I'm glad I got it for free because I would have been disappointed if I had paid money for it.  I wanted to love it and the beginning started out with a bang, but then it went downhill from there.

On her 30th birthday, uptight school teacher Lizzie Brown, receives a visit from her long-lost harley-riding witch grandmother.  At the moment of her birth Grandma announces to Lizzie that she now has demon slayer powers.  Within seconds a demon shows up in her bathroom and she can understand her dog talking.  Really? The talking dog could have been a fun element in the book especially if there had been even a one sentence explanation of why Lizzie can understand him now.  As it is, the dog's yapping becomes quite annoying as the book goes on.  

There are some parts of the book that are entertaining - the witch coven that Grandma belongs too are quite the group, but the witches never share any information with Lizzie about anything.  They just expect her to automatically know everything there is to know about demon slaying without an ounce of training.  All they do is yell at poor Lizzie.  Enter the sexy protector Dimitri who is also a griffin.  Now that could have been very interesting, but the griffin side of the man only shows up twice in the book - a lost opportunity in my opinion.  One of the other things that really bugged me was that at one point in the book, Lizzie needs to get to the coven so she hops on Dimitri's harley and rides away.  Come on? Have you ever tried to ride a harley without any lessons?  I had lessons and I was still quite shaky on the bike. 
Lastly, the climax of the book happens so fast that I had to go back and re-read it to figure out what had happened.   

Unless you can get this book for free, I can't recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.