Monday, June 21, 2010

Interview with M. Wilridge


Welcome M,

Briefly describe your journey in writing your first book. 
To tell you the truth I started it all recreationally. I was working hard on my screenplay “The Actor”, and I stumbled across this idea one day, which I must say was completely different than the story today. I thought to myself why is it that majority of humans would work with demons during the apocalypse knowing what we know? And somehow I created a teen love drama out of it. J

Did you query agents or traditional publishers before publishing on Amazon? 
No, I wanted this to be my project from the beginning. The option and ease of self-publishing of the modern age is going to revolutionize the industry, and I wanted to be a part of it. I didn’t want to put my characters and my story in the hands of others.

What factors influenced your decision to self-publish?
 Mainly the simplicity, the time, and the rights. It was so easy to get everything ready after the editing of my story. I didn’t have to wait 3 months after sending a query letter to wait another 6 after sending my first 30 pages, to wait another year after they get the first manuscript. And although I have to do everything from promotion to marketing, I love the fact that I own every piece of my story. 

Will you try to garner a traditional publishing contract for any future books?
No, I will be looking towards selling my screenplay to a studio, but I think self-publishing is the way to go. If I received an offer from a publishing house for only the printing rights, I would consider it, but no, I won’t put any effort into procuring such things.

Did you design your cover art?  If not, would you care to share your graphic designer’s information?
I actually created the cover on accident. I was trying to figure out what my description of the demon’s eyes looked like and I made that oil painting, and once I saw it on the cover I knew it was it.

How did you feel when you got your first sale?  Are you pleased with sales so far?
I bought five proofs and I put four of them on sale at my website (Angel-lies.com) the first day I received them. They sold in 15 minutes. My email is connected to my phone and I remember the chill up my back as the chime sounded off sale after sale, until I had nothing left to give.

What kinds of social media [twitter, facebook, webpage, blog, writing forums] are you involved with trying to garner attention for your book(s)?
I have my own website(www.Angel-Lies.com) and a facebook page that I just started and haven’t really been working on. I am an avid writer/reader at Fictionpress.com, the best online writers group out there.

Besides Amazon, are there any other sites where your books are for sale?
I am about to put it on Smashword in digital form. It is available in print, from a number of different places including Barnes and Noble.

What’s next for you?
I am currently underway on Angel Lies 2 and I am completing “The Actor”, or at least trying to complete it. Angel Lies has completely taken me in. I never expected anything to put “The Actor” on the back burner, but I just can’t escape this world. Hopefully my readers will share my enthusiasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.