Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Interview with Jess C Scott


I’d like to give a warm welcome to Jess C Scott.

Briefly describe your journey in writing your first book.
The content was inspired by a conspiracy of real life events (my first book was/is EyeLeash, a teenage memoir/semi-autobiography/coming-of-age story set in the digital era). I sent it out to agents and editors, and got through to two editors (Flux and Sourcebooks). After a 6-month discussion with Editor #1, he left for another publishing house, and the editor who took his place wasn’t interested in entertaining me or my project. I never heard back from Editor #2, or the agent who submitted the material. I’ve a blog post with more details re: this journey @ http://eyeleash.wordpress.com/2009/06/03/blog-novel/

Briefly describe your journey in writing your latest book.
My latest book is a YA novel, Book #1 in my SINS07 “seven deadly sins” series -- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00403NQL8

I wanted it to be fun (in contrast to my first two novels, which are multiple-genre-crossing and more “alternative” than mainstream). I was (and continue to be) influenced by my multicultural background and travel experiences. I share more in guests posts, which are listed on the book’s website @ http://sins07.wordpress.com/blog-tour/

Did you query agents or traditional publishers before publishing on Amazon?
Yes. I put my first two books up last year (July and August 2009). I’ve had several agents/editors who replied my queries/submissions after 12 months (to queries/submissions I’d sent around June 2009). I have neither the time nor desire to wait 12 months for a response (even if that is the industry standard), when I could get things moving for myself/a particular project, within the same amount of time.

What factors influenced your decision to self-publish?
I’ve two quite-popular posts on my website, on the factors:



Will you try to garner a traditional publishing contract for any future books?
I might, though it won’t be a priority.

Did you design your cover art?  If not, would you care to share your graphic designer’s information?
Yes, I did (I’ve been a college student on a tight budget for the past few years. “Necessity is the mother of all invention”—Plato). I used to space out and doodle quite a bit during my late teen years, and almost went into graphic design (but decided I’m happier drawing what I like/want, versus commercial illustration). Whatever I know about art/design is self-taught. 

What is the creative process like, for your covers?
I draw when I want to relax and/or “calm my mind down”—so I usually have a few sketches lying around somewhere. If I have a certain old sketch/drawing in mind, I’ll use that for a cover. If I’m in a rush, I’ll search for stock photos online, and locate something that is both visually and conceptually appealing.

How did you feel when you got your first sale?  Are you pleased with sales so far?
My first thought was: “I wish I knew who bought it.” My first sale was on Amazon Kindle, about a month after I put the blog/IM novel up.

It’d be nice to hit 1000 sales by my 24th birthday (in the middle of September)!

Everything happens “very slowly” to me. I try to focus on producing new material (and keeping my website updated). I am very ambitious—I always aim high with whatever I’m very passionate about.  

What kinds of social media [twitter, facebook, webpage, blog, writing forums] are you involved with trying to garner attention for your book(s)?


Occasionally, I hang out at www.kindleboards.com and www.bestsellerbound.com

What’s next for you?
An urban fantasy project featuring cyberpunk elves. I’m trying to finish the final edits by December 2010 (assuming I don’t drown in my fall 2010 assignments, first / I’m currently an English/Business senior).

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.