Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Guest Book Review: The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins


By Nancy Parker

I have to admit, I did not read the books until after I saw the movie. I was confused by parts of the film and hoped the books could give me some insight. I had heard nothing but great things about the books, so what could possibly go wrong? After all, they were originally written for young adults, right? Was I ever wrong!
First of all, the Hunger Games series is three books: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay. Truth be told, Hunger Games is the least violent and disturbing of the three. Now that is a scary thought. The book is pretty much like the movie - a lot of background detail and personal introspection with some death and fighting. The second book, however, is more about fighting than anything else. You are introduced to a bunch of new characters and there is a long battle sequence in an arena. There is lots of death and grossness in this book. 


The third book is even worse, if you can believe it. Not only is the whole love interest angle virtually wiped away (the only thing I was really interested in) but Katniss is almost suicidal by this point and it is an end of the world scenario all over. There are lots of main character deaths and torture. Sheesh. Not an uplifting series by any means.
Oddly enough, the author seemed to want to end the book series on a positive note, but I think she missed. To me, it sounds miserable and lonely. I guess there is a little light shining through, but still the series is very dark. I do not plan on watching the rest of the movies after reading the books. It just gets too violent and depressing, almost fatalistic.

Author Bio
Nancy Parker was a professional nanny http://www.enannysource.com/ and she loves to write about wide range of subjects like health, Parenting, Child Care, Babysitting, nanny background check tips etc. You can reach her at nancy.parker015@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. As a thirteen year-old and a massive fan of The Hunger Games trilogy, I don't think there's too much violence, defintely the right amount when your writing about a book for teens where, you can't just shy away from the topic of violence. *SPOILER AHEAD* The games need to make you feel angry enough to start an uprising, a rebellion. I loved Catching Fire, the excitement being what's going to happened next because there were so many different twists and turns in the plot/ As for Mockingjay, I cried. Prim(Katniss' sister) has a line "Whatever it takes to break you" and to me I loved this book. It was centered around Katniss' emotions and also Prim grows into her own and I adored reading about this too.
    So, from a teenage reader I don't find them over-gory. They are perfect because they teach you about war and the consequences. Something I never knew much about before I read these books.
    Sophie:)

    ReplyDelete

Your post will be published after administrator approval.