Monday, May 20, 2013

Interview with V.R. Janis


Can you give us a brief overview of your latest book? Is it part of a series?
The most recent published book is Hidden Conflicts which is the final book in the Hidden Magic Trilogy. The trilogy is about a young elf maiden who lives in the world as it is right now and she is fighting for the people and beliefs she has. It is a unique blend of Ojibwe culture/language and fantasy.

What is your writing process? Do you listen to music or do you like silence?
I love listening to instrumental music such as flute, Lindsey Stirling (violin), classical and movie film scores. Sometimes the songs can help the scenes come alive.

Do you outline your story or just go where your muse takes you?
I outline what I want to happen in each chapter and then I let my characters create their own world. Sometimes it goes the way I want it to and sometimes it goes off in a whole other direction. When a scene is developing and I leave it, sometimes I will have a dream or a flash of inspiration and then the scene explodes.

What have you’ve learned during your self-publishing journey?
I have learned that you have to have courage and motivation. I also have learned the benefit to research (google) and that no feat is too small to celebrate.

Besides Amazon, are there any other sites where your books are for sale?
My books can be found on Barnes and Noble, Smashwords, and www.etsy.com/shop/OjibweWonders

What kinds of marketing [twitter, facebook, blog, forums] are you involved with for promoting your book(s)?
I do twitter, facebook, LinkedIn, Goodreads, I am part of Yahoo groups, forums, I have a blog www.janisvr.blogspot.com and never underestimate the power of word of mouth, I pass out business cards, I do presentations, book signings and talks to classes. I look for new experiences and connections on a daily basis.

Do you find it difficult to juggle your time between marketing your current book and writing your next book?
I do find it difficult to juggle marketing and writing, however I have created a schedule for myself and that has helped greatly. I do a little of everything, everyday and then I do not get stressed that something did not get accomplished.

What advice would you give a new author just entering into the self-publishing arena?
Research everything before agreeing to anything, remember Google is your friend. Try - because your failure will be in giving up. One last thing - take the criticism and use it to make your writing better, but take it to your heart.
 
Besides writing, do you have any other passions?
I am a Fine Art Photographer, a Conservation Biologist, and I am passionate about my Native American culture and language.

What’s next for you?
I am in the process of editing an entire series and I am writing a dystopia. I have at least twenty new book ideas and do not plan on slowing down any time soon. 

I just wanted to say thank you for the opportunity to do the interview and I enjoyed answering the questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.