Thursday, October 10, 2013

Interview with Jessica Gibson



Can you give us a brief overview of your latest book? Is it part of a series?
Dressed in White is a light-hearted fun read about Lorelei and Dillon and their struggle to get down the aisle. It is part of a series, it’s book one in the A Walk Down the Aisle series.

Do you have a favorite character?
You know in this book, I think Roxie was my favorite actually, lol. She is not the main character at all either, but I adore her personality.

Have you ever had a minor character evolve into a major one? Did that change the direction of the novel at all?
All the time!! In Dressed in White Kayla, Lorelei’s sister, was only supposed to be mentioned in passing, but she was such a dynamic character that now she’s getting a book of her own.

Are you currently under a traditional publishing contract for future books or do you have manuscripts that you will self-publish?
I am under a contract with the amazing ladies from Hayson Publishing for a young adult paranormal series due out the beginning of October. I will also continue to self publish my other books.

What factors influenced your decision to self-publish your book(s)?
I liked having the control over my story and cover. It turns out that I’m slightly OCD when it comes to my books lol.

If you used a graphic designer/publisher’s designer, how involved were you during the creative process for your cover?
I have used Once Upon a Time Covers for all of my books. Stephanie is amazing. I can be as involved as I want to be. But, I usually give her a vague idea of what I’m going for and she blows me away with the final result.

Do you belong to a critique group? Have they helped improve your writing?
I don't belong to a group, but I do have a few authors that have critiqued for me in the past. It really helped to shape me into the author I am now. I was so unsure of myself when I was starting out, and they would point out things that either were wrong for the story, or just needed some tweaking.

What is your writing process? Do you listen to music or do you like silence? Oh I love listening to music while I write. I usually will make a playlist for each new book.

Do you outline your story or just go where your muse takes you?
I tried outlining, but it never worked for me. I tend to fly by the seat of my pants.

Did you hire an editor to review your manuscript before publishing?
Yes! I think hiring a professional editor is key in being successful as an author. I use Kim from Red Line Editing, and she is fabulous.

What have you’ve learned during your self-publishing journey?
I have learned so much! My writing evolves with each book written. I like to think for the better lol.

What kinds of marketing [twitter, facebook, blog, forums] are you involved with for promoting your book(s)?
All of it. Being self-published, all of the marketing falls on my shoulders. I don't use Twitter as much as I should lol.

Do you find it difficult to juggle your time between marketing your current book and writing your next book?
Yes. It’s a constant struggle. What is more important at any given moment. It’s a trade off some days.

What advice would you give a new author just entering into the self-publishing arena?
Keep at it, and hire professionals for your cover, and for editing. Those are two things that will make or break you.

Besides writing, do you have any other passions?
I’m a mommy, my son and husband are my biggest passions in life. They make me a better person just for being a part of my life.

What’s next for you?
I plan on finishing out my wedding series in the next year, and starting a few more in the contemporary romance genre as well as continuing in paranormal genre.

 




 Follow the Book Tour

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.