Thursday, October 24, 2013

Interview with P.T. Michelle


As a writer, how do you come up with your ideas for stories?
Writers by nature are very observant people. We absorb what we see, hear, smell and touch everyday, so everything inspires us from movies to music to people. One thing that has always inspired when forming a new story idea is I always ask myself the question, "What if…." and then I fill in the blank. :)

A story about a girl dreaming her entire next day (and ONLY her next day) the night before is unusual. How did you come up with the concept for BRIGHTEST KIND OF DARKNESS?
The idea behind the BRIGHTEST KIND OF DARKNESS series started off as one of those "What if" questions. I ask myself, "What if a girl dreamed her entire next day?" Then I think through all the possible scenarios: How would that impact her? Would she act upon what she saw? And if not, why? What if she didn't have a choice? And from there…the story starts flowing. 

DESTINY is the 3rd book in the BRIGHTEST KIND OF DARKNESS series. Did you know how many books it would be when you first wrote BRIGHTEST KIND OF DARKNESS?
I didn't know how many books the series would be, but I definitely knew the story was far bigger than just a couple of books. I'm what you call a hybrid-pantser writer. A pantser is someone who sits down and just writes…no planning, no plotting involved. The story just flows out. My stories are intricately weaved, so I have to do a bit of planning before I start writing. I write a very high-level outline and give myself TONS of permission to veer off course as the story unfolds while I write. But at least the outline keeps me reminded of what my goals were for the story.  When you have mystery elements like I do in the BKoD series, knowing where you're going is pretty important. :) So as the stories have unfolded, they took on a life of their own. And then I've had to plan each book as I go and also dovetail back into the previous books I've written in the series.

Ravens feature dominantly in the BKoD series, which is definitely different from vampires, werewolves and the like we've seen in a lot of popular paranormal books. What made you choose to write about ravens?
I've always been fascinated by ravens. The lore about them is so interesting. Ravens have been on many of my previous book covers and are mentioned in passing or are part of the storyline in past books. They just weren't the main storyline. In BRIGHTEST KIND OF DARKNESS, ravens finally take front and center. :)

How many books do you plan for the BRIGHTEST KIND OF DARKNESS series? 
Right now the plan is four books. Depending on how the last book unfolds, there may be a spin off. I'm leaving the possibilities open. :)

BKoD is listed as a YA series, but DESTINY could definitely fall into the New Adult category. Tell us more about that; give us the scoop on the smexy stuff. :)
My goal in writing the BRIGHTEST KIND OF DARKNESS series was to write a series that both upper teens and adults would enjoy equally. I've written the stories in the series based on Nara and Ethan's age and the progression of their relationship as it deepens. That's the reason things heat up as me move from book 1 to book 2 and then on to book 3. 

Any thing else you'd like to add?
I just wanted to shout out a huge THANK YOU the readers and bloggers who've supported the BRIGHTEST KIND OF DARKNESS series from the beginning! 


Book & Author Details:

Synopsis:
When destiny is on the line, will love be enough to light the way?

In order to save Ethan, Nara gets pulled deeper into his dark world, where everything she thought she knew about Ethan and herself turns on its head. Ethan and Nara turn up the heat with bone-melting seduction and heart-rending moments, but surprising revelations, lies, treachery, betrayal, and unimaginable evil will challenge their relationship and their future together. As the stakes rise, encompassing more than just her relationship with Ethan, will Nara make the ultimate sacrifice?


Purchase:


AUTHOR BIO:
P.T. Michelle is the author of the young adult series BRIGHTEST KIND OF DARKNESS. She keeps a spiral notepad with her at all times, even on her nightstand. When P.T. isn’t writing, she can usually be found reading or taking pictures of landscapes, sunsets and anything beautiful or odd in nature. 

LINKS: Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Pinterest | Newsletter
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.