Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Interview with Matt Dinniman


Can you give us a brief overview of your latest book? Is it part of a series?
The Grinding is a horror novel set six months after the city of Tucson has been destroyed by a giant monster called The Grinder—an entity that makes itself larger and larger by adding captured people and animals to its mass. It is a first person narrative.  Adam, the narrator, describes how he desperately attempts to save his wife after she is captured by the monster. It is not a part of a series.

Have you ever had a minor character evolve into a major one? Did that change the direction of the novel at all?
All the time! I write very loosely, but I always have a fully fleshed-out character history for every character, even if it’s someone who gets one line. And sometimes the story goes in a direction I didn’t expect. When that happens, oftentimes characters I never expected to be important end up becoming major players in the story.

 What factors influenced your decision to go with a particular agent or publisher?
I chose Necro Publications because they have been around for a long time, they have a great reputation, and they are the publisher of some of my favorite authors, including Edward Lee. I have read several of their books.

If you used a graphic designer/publisher’s designer, how involved were you during the creative process for your cover?
The cover for my book was designed by an artist named Erik Wilson (www.facebook.com/erikwilsonart), and I didn’t actually have any input. When I was given the cover to approve, I immediately liked it. 

Do you belong to a critique group? Have they helped improve your writing?
The first draft of this was critiqued using Critters (www.critters.org), and it has improved my writing tenfold. I find the act of critiquing the worth of others is just as valuable as having readers help me for my own.

What is your writing process? Do you listen to music or do you like silence?
I write late at night, and I always listen to music. I can’t write in silence. I have to have some sort of chaos around me to feed off of.

Do you outline your story or just go where your muse takes you?
I do not outline. I am in it for the journey. If I know where it’s going to end, I oftentimes won’t finish for the same reason people don’t like to watch movies or read books more than once.

Do you find it difficult to juggle your time between marketing your current book and writing your next book?
The marketing part of the book business is the part I’m the worst at. Even though I’ve spent most of my adult life working in marketing, I would much prefer to write all night because I am much more comfortable with it.

Besides writing, do you have any other passions?
I am an artist. I own CollageOrama, LLC., and I sell my art online and through licensing agreements.

What’s next for you?
I am currently working on my next book. That’s my favorite part—writing the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.