Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Interview with Jacinta Maree


Can you give us a brief overview of your latest book? Is it part of a series?
The Reapers, which is book two in the My Demonic Ghost series, has a very interesting time line. Unlike book one, Banished Spirits, The Reapers takes place before, during and after the first book. I wrote it from a different perspective, the Reaper Jordon as he comes to terms with his messy death and his new role as Reaper and owner of Raix, the demonic wolf.

The Reapers stands out among all three books because the story is told through Jordon’s eyes and you get to see behind the scenes where Lock or Rachael cannot get to.

Do you have a favorite character?
In the Demonic Ghost series, yes. And I’m not afraid to say Lock is by far my favorite, followed by Mother, Gargoyle and Rachael.

Did you try the traditional route to publishing, i.e. querying agents/publishers?
I did, but I mostly stuck to Australian publishers which were a very hard market to crack. I tried a couple of different places that I thought suited, and if I was lucky, got a rejection letter. Though it never put me down, I just had to try different methods of approach.
I’m just so thankful I was picked up by Staccato Publishing, they have been amazing to me and so supportive and hard working.

How long before you got your offer of representation/your first contract? Was it for your first novel?
I was searching for about a year before I found Staccato where I was looking for editing services for my first book, Banished Spirits. So, yes that was my first completed and serious novel.

Are you currently under a traditional publishing contract for future books or do you have manuscripts that you will self-publish? Are you doing both?
I am with an agent at the moment, Eric Ruben, and I feel just so giggly with joy that I had suck in my courage and introduced myself to him at the RT pitches in 2013. I don’t believe I will self-publish any of my current works; I barely have the money or time to write and promote what I have now let alone try and do it by myself.

Plus, I love working with others, and I love being a part of a publishing team where I can make friends with the other authors. You become a family, and I feel I couldn’t do that if I ran in just for myself.

What is your writing process? Do you listen to music or do you like silence?
Oh, I must have music and a warm cup of tea with me but I can’t be in a room with other distractions like TV.  

Do you outline your story or just go where your muse takes you?
I love to outline my stories, I need direction or I just end up looking up pretty pictures on pinterest. Before I even write a character I need to know everything about them, their favourite food, what they like to wear, what their childhood was like. I especially love being able to watch their reactions, like when they are startled or when they are angered. Maybe their nostrils will flare up; maybe they just bite down and swallow their rage? It’s a lot of fun. 

What kinds of marketing [twitter, facebook, blog, forums] are you involved with for promoting your book(s)?
I like to dip my toes in a bit of everything.

Deviant Art account:  http://jacintamaree.deviantart.com/

More facebook accounts: 


What’s next for you?
Well, I think I have the problem of jumping from project to project way too often. The third installment of My Demonic Ghost, Hunters and Creators is sitting with my lovely editor/ publisher Heather Savage. Unfortunately, no release date yet.

I’ve completed my Steampunk supernatural novel, Time Weaver: Heart of Cogs where we follow eighteen year old Elizabeth as she teams up with a Time Collector, a creature capable of exchanging wishes for time. Right now it’s sitting with my agent, the fabulous Eric Ruben.

Secondly, I have Soulless in the works which is my new supernatural/ dystopian. This one is a bit more of a secret until I work out all the kinks.

On the back burner, I have Grave of Machines, my Cyberpunk and a few others.  


Book & Author details:
The Reapers by Jacinta Maree
(My Demonic Ghost #2)
Publication date: September 17th 2013
Genres: Paranormal, Young Adult

Synopsis:
The day you die is meant to be the end, but for 18 year old Jordon Hastings, his death was only the beginning.

In a dark and twisted world, lost spirits known as Reapers remain behind after death to help collect the spirits from the realm of the living. A new Reaper, Jordon struggles to accept his fate and lingers in the shadows of his mortal life. But when a demon wolf starts to live through his shadow, hunting his family and friends Jordon has no choice but to leave. As soon as he accepts his new role the truth behind the relationship between Reapers and Angelic Hunters is revealed. His loyalty is tested, making him choose between a corrupted God and a single Banished Spirit.

AUTHOR BIO:
Self confessed chocaholic, Jacinta was born and raised in Melbourne Australia with her loving family of five. Even as a child Jacinta had an itch to write. Writing was the one constant hobby she clung to, also trying her hand at piano, flute, tennis, horseback riding and drama.

Jacinta works full time in the family business and spends her afternoons either playing basketball, reading, writing or hanging out with friends. She is always happy to try something new; getting her real estate license, practicing ninjitshu, Zumba and parkour to name a few.

For her future, Jacinta sees herself writing. It is a large part of her identity and something she hopes to continue. Aside from her love of stories she loves Japan and its unique and beautiful culture and history. From their delicious sushi dishes right down to their wooden sandals and kimonos. She is also a huge cat person and loves to snuggle up in front of the fire for a good movie or book. Her favorite genres are paranormal and fantasy but she also loves anything written by thriller writer, Stephen King.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.