Friday, August 15, 2014

Interview with Pauline Creeden

What is your writing process?
I know a lot of authors who need to have a long period of time to get into a writing mode, but because of my hectic schedule as a business owner, horse trainer, homeschooling mother, etc. I can’t rub two or three hours of writing at a time. I’m lucky if I get one hour of time alone and in quiet to put in words. So I have to be willing to write in fits and spurts to get my daily word count in.

Do you listen to music or do you like silence?
Because so much of my day is spent in noise, I prefer silence. But if I can’t find it, I’ll put my headphones on and listen to one or two songs on repeat so that my mind can drown it out.

Do you belong to a critique group? Have they helped improve your writing?
I have belonged to a critique group in the past, and they helped my writing a bunch! But nowadays, I have a few select beta readers who help me along, and I also trade critiques with other authors whose opinions I respect.

Do you outline your story or just go where your muse takes you?
I liken my writing to driving at night to a place I’ve never been before. I know where my destination is, but I’m unclear on how to get there exactly. I write what I see in my headlights.

Did you hire an editor to review your manuscript before publishing?
I hire both an editor and a proofreader.

What have you’ve learned during your self-publishing journey?
Editing takes a lot longer than writing a first draft. And finishing that first draft is the most important thing, not what kind of condition it’s in.

What advice would you give a new author just entering into the self-publishing arena?
It’s never too early to get active in social media and building a mailing list!

Besides writing, do you have any other passions?
My day job. I’m a horse trainer/riding instructor. I love seeing kids and horses I’ve trained do well in life and at horse shows!

Some fun facts about you, which do you prefer – dogs or cats? Chocolate or vanilla? Coffee or Tea? Talk or Text? Day or Night?
I’m a dog lover, but I also have four cats. Chocolate all the way. Because I’m in the south, I love a good sweet tea. I prefer texting. Because I hardly sleep, I get up early but also stay up late…naps are my friend.

What’s next for you?
Later this month, I’m stepping into the realm of serial novels. Chronicles of Steele: Raven has been in the works for about two and a half years, and putting her out into the world is on the agenda next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.