Monday, October 13, 2014

Interview with Melanie Moreland


Can you give us a brief overview of your latest book? Is it part of a series?
The book is a stand alone.
Blurb:  Megan Greene is a woman seeking some peace and quiet.  She travels to a sleepy coastal town where she meets her reclusive neighbor, Zachary Adams. He is hiding from his past and wants nothing to do with her, or the friendship she offers.
But fate won’t be denied, and their paths cross, their lives entwining in ways neither could have expected. As parts of their past collide with the present, their fragile bond is exposed and endangered. Their love is called into question and trust is destroyed. It’s a story of learning to move forward, letting go the past and trusting your heart.

Do you have a favorite character?
Yes, I do rather have a fondness for Zachary. He is damaged and scared and hides it with his rude behavior. He was fun to write and discover.

How long before you got your offer of representation/your first contract? Was it for your first novel?
I had already decided to stay with the self-publishing route when I was approached after my first novel by the Bookcase Agency. They represent a lot of self-published authors, and after getting to know them a little, liked what they had to say, and the freedom it gave me to still keep control of my work. Both Meire Dias and Flavia Viotti Siqueria are very supportive and great to work with.

If you used a graphic designer/publisher’s designer, how involved were you during the creative process for your cover?
The image of the book cover was totally my concept. I knew exactly what I wanted and worked with the designer closely. She was great—and understood the concept very quickly, so it was a fast process. I was thrilled with the result.

Do you listen to music or do you like silence?
I have music playing in my house, my car – everywhere I go, until I start to write. Then I need silence. I have my favorite spot where I write and I need everything just so, including an endless pot of coffee, or I can’t concentrate.  

Do you outline your story or just go where your muse takes you?
I do outline my stories, but they are often hijacked and go off in directions I didn’t plan. Sometimes a character has his or her own ideas of what they want to say or do and I have learned just to go with it.

Did you hire an editor to review your manuscript before publishing?
Yes I had an editor, as well as a couple of prereaders and I hired a company to do a final proofread.

How about some fun facts-which do you prefer? Dogs or cats, coffee or tea, vanilla or chocolate, morning or night?
I love both cats and dogs—I’m an all-round animal lover, but right now we have a cat.  I’m allergic to chocolate but am a huge fan of anything caramel.  I’m definitely a night person.

What’s next for you?
I currently have another book on the go and an outline for the next one. Both are stand-alone.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.