Friday, June 21, 2019

#SALE .99 Regency Romance DARE TO LOVE A SPY by Debra Elizabeth

SALE June 20 - June 27, 2019


Miss Hannah Richardson is enjoying a Season in London. She's not looking for a husband, at least not this Season. She wants to enjoy herself before settling down to married life. All that changes, however, when she sees the Duke of Wetherby. He's tall, dark and impossibly handsome and someone Hannah wants to get to know better.

Camden Darkin, the Duke of Wetherby, is not fond of attending soirees, dinners or balls, but his latest mission for the Crown demands he mingle with the ton. He has vowed not to marry because of his dangerous work and the constant bevy of beauties anxious mothers throw into his path is not tempting him in the least. That is, until he meets Hannah Richardson, a young woman unlike any other he's ever met. Can he learn to love or will his hardened heart rob him of the very thing he needs the most.


Amazon link:

Excerpt:

She glanced across the floor and saw her aunt talking with a gentlemen Hannah had not been introduced to as of yet. He’d arrived only moments before dinner was served and been seated at the other end of the dining table, and she’d had no chance to inquire after his name. His tall and erect posture exuded confidence. Who was this handsome stranger? She was determined to find out his identity, especially since she hadn’t been able to identify the rogue in the garden.
She walked around the perimeter of the room, avoiding the couples whirling around the dance floor and eventually stood next to her aunt. “Aunt Mary, do you have a secret? Isn’t that why people usually whisper to one another?”
Mary’s head whipped around.
Hannah swallowed hard when she saw her aunt’s lips set in a grim line. Although her aunt was not a large woman, her hard stare was enough to wilt even the strongest of men.
“Hannah, you forget yourself.”
Hannah lowered her eyes. “I’m sorry, Aunt…I mean Lady Tisbury. I meant no disrespect. Please forgive me.”
Hannah breathed a sigh of relief when Mary patted her hand. “No harm done, dear, but please mind your manners in the future. A lady does not speak so boldly. Besides, I hold no secrets. The Duke of Wetherby and I were merely discussing tonight’s event.” Mary turned toward the duke. “Your Grace, I don’t believe you’ve had the pleasure of an introduction. This is my niece, Miss Hannah Richardson. She is staying with me for the Season.”
Hannah curtsied. “Your Grace. A pleasure to meet you.”
Camden bowed. “The pleasure is mine, Miss Richardson.”
Hannah studied him. He was older than her, but she had no idea what his actual age might be. He could be her brother Ethan’s age of twenty-seven, or perhaps a year older, but whatever his age, she found the handsome duke intriguing, especially his piercing gray eyes. He commanded the room with his mere presence, and no other gentleman attending tonight could hold a candle to him. He was taller than most men and blessed with a chiseled jawline and broad shoulders. His black evening coat, silver waistcoat and crisp white cravat spoke of wealth. His black hair curled around his ears and brushed against his collar. What spectacular hair he had and Hannah felt a sudden urge to run her hands through it.
Run my hands through his hair? Where did that come from?
Hannah’s curiosity was piqued. What had her aunt and the Duke of Wetherby been whispering about? Surely not something as mundane as tonight’s dinner—she hardly thought that warranted whispering. She had never seen the duke before, although she had visited her aunt regularly during her youth. It was indeed a puzzle, and she adored solving puzzles.
“I was complimenting Lady Tisbury on hosting another wonderful affair,” Camden added.
Hannah gave him her prettiest smile. “Are your compliments so rare that you find the need to whisper them, Your Grace?”
A twitch in his jaw was the only indication her question surprised him. “Not at all, Miss Richardson, but with the orchestra playing, I wanted to be heard.”
Hannah had not yet controlled her impulsiveness to speak her mind and blurted out what she was thinking. “I see. Do you dance?”
Camden arched an eyebrow. “I beg your pardon?”
Now that she had voiced her thoughts out loud, she had to follow through. “It’s a simple question, Your Grace. Do you dance?” Hannah glanced at her aunt, who had raised her fan to hide her grin.
“I do indeed,” he said.
“Excellent. I find myself without a partner for the final quadrille. Perhaps you could be persuaded to partner me?”
Camden cleared his throat before answering. “I should be delighted, Miss Richardson.”
Hannah curtsied again. “Thank you, Your Grace. I look forward to it. Now if you’ll excuse me, I see my next partner is waiting for me.”

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reviewer’s comments:
"I loved the murder-mystery flair that seemed present and the deliciously tense undertone of the spy network. These points gave lots of flavor to the budding romance and caused lots of conflict well so we ended up with a really meaty story"

"A very well-written book, I highly recommend it for those who love a witty, fast-paced Regency romance." 

"It has everything I love in a romance: Regency era, hero is a spy, heroine is spunky and speaks her mind, a bit of danger and a happy ending. From the first page, I was transported to Regency England."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.