Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Interview with Nikki Katz, THE KING'S QUESTIONER

Can you give us a brief overview of The King’s Questioner? Is it part of a series?
From the author of 'The Midnight Dance' comes an epic YA fantasy featuring royal drama, dark magic, and a secret that could topple a kingdom.

Kalen has been cursed with a gift: he’s a mental picklock, able to access a person’s memories and secrets by touch. His skills make him the perfect questioner to the king, and he spends his days interrogating prisoners of the crown.

But when Kalen’s estranged childhood friend, Prince Cirrus, falls into a sudden coma, the king begs Kalen to intervene. By accessing Cirrus’ mind, Kalen saves his life—and uncovers a terrifying secret. The prince has a sister, banished long ago, and she is the key to the destruction or survival of the kingdom.

With the help of Cirrus and a silver-haired thief named Luna, Kalen must find the princess and bring her home. Or risk death at the hands of his king.

It is a standalone

Do you have a favorite character?
I hate to have to choose, but if I must, I’d have to say Cirrus. I love that he is charming and funny, and that he’s afraid of the dark.

Did you try the traditional route to publishing, i.e. querying agents/publishers?
Yes. I had an agent for The Midnight Dance, but we parted ways before I uploaded to Swoon Reads.

How long before you got your offer of representation/your first contract? Was it for your first novel?
I actually had an agent for my very first novel that I wrote about twelve years ago! She pitched the book and it didn’t sell and we parted ways. After that I wrote several other novels before The Midnight Dance.

What factors influenced your decision to go with a particular agent or publisher?
I’m currently with Kate Schafer Testerman at KT Literary and I adore her! When I knew I wanted an agent for The King’s Questioner, I created a VERY select list of agents to reach out to and she was at the top. I wanted someone who was communicative, experienced, and who wanted a career relationship.

Are you currently under a traditional publishing contract for future books or do you have manuscripts that you will self-publish? Are you doing both?
I have no ongoing contracts. I am writing a third YA novel and then we will go out on submission to traditional houses.

Do you belong to a critique group? Have they helped improve your writing?
I have a select group of critique partners and find it invaluable to have their feedback and bounce ideas off one another!

What is your writing process? Do you listen to music or do you like silence? 
I need absolutely silence when I write! I wish I could go sit in a coffee shop, but I can’t. I also need to have hours available to write since it takes me a while to get started.

Do you outline your story or just go where your muse takes you?
I know the beginning and I know the end. The rest is up to the characters!

Some fun facts about you, which do you prefer?
dogs or cats?  Dogs.
Chocolate or vanilla? Vanilla.
Coffee or Tea? Coffee.
Talk or Text? Talk.
Day or Night? Evening.

What’s next for you?
Writing my next book, parenting, and travel!!


The King’s Questioner
Nikki Katz
Published by: Swoon Reads
Publication date: January 14th 2020
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult

From Nikki Katz, the author of The Midnight Dance , comes The King’s Questioner, an epic YA fantasy featuring royal drama, dark magic, and a secret that could topple a kingdom.
Kalen is a mental picklock, able to access a person’s memories and secrets by touch. His skills make him the perfect questioner to the king, and he spends his days interrogating prisoners of the crown.
But when Kalen’s estranged childhood friend, Prince Cirrus, falls into a sudden coma, the king begs Kalen to intervene. By accessing Cirrus’s mind, Kalen saves his life—and uncovers a terrifying secret. The prince has a sister, banished long ago, and she is the key to the destruction or survival of the kingdom.
With the help of Cirrus and a silver-haired thief named Luna, Kalen must find the princess and bring her home. Or risk death at the hands of his king.

Author Bio:
Nikki Katz is an author and editor living in sunny San Diego with her three children. With a BS in aerospace engineering, Nikki first put her writing skills to use publishing four nonfiction books. She moved on to writing young adult fiction, her favorite genre to read as well. The Midnight Dance is her debut novel.




1 comment:

Your post will be published after administrator approval.