Sunday, August 28, 2022

#NEW: VICTORY WRITING SHOP - Gifts and Tools for Book Nerds & Authors

 


Here's a special treat for both authors looking for practical advice on writing and editing as well as great ideas for author swag gifts. 

Website: https://victorywriting.com

I've reviewed Ms. Victory's book, "How to Polish Your Manuscript in Ten Days" and found it immensely helpful.


Anne Victory bio:


You've probably already guessed that I adore books. Hell, I edit books for a living. 🙂 I also teach classes about writing, give presentations at conferences and to local writers' groups, and run a group that distributes ARCs (Advance Reader Copies) for authors. If it involves books, I'm here for it.

But the story of how this shop came to be and the things I sell is a bit of a winding road. 

Obstinate, Headstrong Girl journal

First—I've always wanted to do something creative that would also bring a smile to anyone who enjoys pretty things. That led me to designing illustrated journals. Books that let me express myself when creating them but would also let you enjoy an experience as you write, not just jot things down on some plain lined paper. 

The next thing on my list–I use flip-top notebooks for jotting down notes, figures, pretty much anything on my mind. But all the ones I found were… ugly. There, I said it. So I started making little notepads that would bring me a touch of joy as I work. And I wanted to share them with you. 


A pretty flip-top notepad.

 

Well, all that's well and good, you might be thinking. But what about the rest of it?

I'm a firm believer in "going wide." This is basically when a self-published, indie author decides to not just use Amazon as their platform but to also utilize other book retailers and maybe even sell books directly from their website or at conferences. And okay—confession time.


I have a love/hate relationship with Amazon.

My cute Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Bella

On the one hand, they indirectly put food on my table by helping my clients make money, which is how they pay for editing. My animals gotta eat. 😆 I also love the convenience of shopping on Amazon.

But on the other hand, I hate how big corporations drive out the mom-and-pop shops, and I'm not a fan of the soul-sucking way they treat their workers either. So I made the decision to go it on my own.

And it occurred to me that if I wasn't depending on Amazon to sell my books, then I could sell other things too. Makes sense, right? And I thought of how happy I'd be to walk into a shop that was dedicated to all things writing, reading, and freelancing. I'm only sorry my shop doesn't have some comfy chairs for you. 🙂 

And, finally, I love to serve and teach. That's why I started my Academy, that's why I have a NetGalley co-op, and that's why I present at conferences. So don't be surprised if you find resources on the craft of writing and planners to help with productivity and organization. 

If you love books as much as I do, you've definitely come to the right place. Bring your own comfy chair and browse as long as you'd like. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.