Friday, May 5, 2023

Interview with Karen Charles, FATEFUL CONNECTIONS


 Can you give us a brief overview of your latest book? Is it part of a series?

"Fateful Connections" follows a group of four CEO's as they gather for an executive conference in Seattle on September 11, 2001. As they attempt to reach home following the day's catastrophic events, they are besieged by terrorists of a different kind. The story follows their troubles, trauma, and redemption as they race to safety amidst international chaos. Much of the history and events of 9/11 are woven throughout the story. This compelling, exciting story captures the reader's attention from the first page. As the story progresses, the reader will become thoroughly invested in the lives of the intriguing main characters and a number of antagonists and eager to discover their ultimate fates.

 

Briefly describe your journey in writing your first or latest book. Have you joined any FB author groups to inspire and help you along the way?  

My first published writing was a poem.  When I was eight years old, my family moved to Nigeria, West Africa.  I was taken with the beauty and elegance of the African crowned crane.  My mom sent a poem I wrote about the cranes to Jack and Jill children’s magazine and they published it.   

 

Are you currently under a traditional publishing contract for future books or do you have manuscripts that you will self-publish? Are you doing both?  

Right now I am self-publishing and have another manuscript in the works.

 

What factors influenced your decision to self-publish your book(s)?  

Writing is not a career for me but rather a hobby.  Self-publishing allows me freedom to publish at any time and keep all the rights to my books.  Social media platforms allow expansion far beyond what I could do on my own.  Self-publishing gives me the freedom to be myself, preserving the dignity and genius of my objective.

 

What is your writing process? Do you listen to music or do you like silence?  

My writing process is curling up in a quiet spot and writing a chapter in my notebook.  After making changes, I type it on the computer, copy it, and edit. 

 

Do you outline your story or just go where your muse takes you?  

When I begin a story, I outline it, making notes about my ideas.  Then I list the characters, how they look, and what character traits each one has.  After I begin, it may turn out quite differently than my original outline. 

 

Did you hire an editor to review your manuscript before publishing?  

I absolutely hired an editor.  “Edit or regret it!”

 

Besides writing, do you have any other passions?  

As an educator, I was passionate about teaching children to read at a high reading level.  Now that I’m retired from teaching, I own and manage an Airbnb on a bay in Washington State which gives me time to write while I have guests.  

 

Some fun facts about you, which do you prefer – dogs or cats? Chocolate or vanilla? Coffee or Tea? Talk or Text? Day or Night?  

Some fun facts about me are – I love the outdoors, gardening, hiking, sunrises, and traveling.

 

What’s next for you? 

I’ve begun another thriller based on a true story of a family caught in catastrophic events.


Author bio:


Karen Charles is a children's book author and educator. She lives with her husband on a beautiful bay in Washington State. Her latest book is the thriller, Fateful Connections.


Website: https://karenrabe18.wixsite.com/my-site-2


Twitter: www.karenra24229683

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.