Friday, September 15, 2023

Interview with Avery Sterling, PRECIOUS BURDENS

 Can you give us a brief overview of your latest book? Is it part of a series?

My latest book, Precious Burdens, is a historical romance. Captain Nye Tarquin is left for dead and seeking revenge. When he captures his enemy’s fiancĂ©e, Sarafina di Ramonicci, a troubling question is raised. One that was buried deep within him… is he worthy of happiness and love? Torn between his desire for justice and his heart, he realizes that his decisions could cost him Sarafina, and even his own life. 

 

Precious Burdens is a stand-alone, but has a companion novel

 

Do you have a favorite character?

I’ve created many characters, and I’m still creating more. I can’t say I have a favorite, because I adore them all in different ways, for various reasons. Some make me smile, and some can be troubling. But in the end, I have a deep connection with all of them.

 

Have you ever had a minor character evolve into a major one? Did that change the direction of the novel at all? Did the character become the hero/heroine of their own book?

Yes, absolutely! When I first started writing Precious Burdens, a character started out a fraction of the plot. As the story developed, I kept coming back to this character. He became more important as the story unfolded. The main characters relied on him, the heavy moments within the story needed him. Eventually, he helped change the book’s course. When I finished the novel, I decided this character needed—in fact—deserved his own story. I was excited to get started on it right away, and loved writing every moment of it!

 

What factors influenced your decision to go with a particular agent or publisher?

When I decided to publish, I wanted a smaller press with credibility. I searched for a one with a reputation for maintaining a solid relationship with their authors and being incredibly helpful during the publishing process. I submitted to The Wild Rose Press, and they offered me insight beyond what was expected of them. I signed on, and they’d proved to be incredibly kind, helpful, and patient. I recently contracted another book with them.

 

Do you have an ARC review team? How did you recruit your reviewers? BookFunnel? Readerlinks? Booksprout?

Yes, and I’m currently trying to grow my team. I’ve posted an application on various social media platforms, looking for readers excited about historical romances. Once approved, I use Bookfunnel to share my ARCs.

 

What is your writing process? Do you listen to music or do you like silence?

My process starts with a spark, an idea, sometimes a scene. The story flows from that. Once I finish the first draft, I start to pick it apart, and build on that foundation. Yes, I’m usually listening to music, it’s my greatest inspiration. 

 

What kinds of marketing [twitter, facebook ads, amazon ads, newsletters, TikTok] are you involved with for promoting your book(s)?

I’ve dabbled in marketing for most platforms. It’s been a learning process that’s everchanging, and each platform has its own approach. I’ve found it’s important to become familiar with them all, in order to extend my reach.

 

Do you find it difficult to juggle your time between marketing your current book and writing your next book? Do you try to write everyday or carve out certain times during the week?

It’s tricky, I must remain flexible. I try to write a little and promote each day. Each week, I’ll take a day just for writing. Promoting my current releases are important, but it can be taxing. Immersing myself in a WIP reminds me what I’m passionate about, and I never want to lose sight of that. 

 

Briefly describe your journey in writing your first or latest book. Have you joined any FB author groups to inspire and help you along the way?

I wrote my first book when I was sixteen, and I had no idea what I was doing. I had no expectations, no plan, or even an understanding as to why I wanted to write. I just had strong desire to tell a story. I skipped school one day and went to the local library. I started pulling everything off the shelves dealing with pirates, and the history of New Orleans. Then I went on to learning period clothing and etiquette. I took all my notes, jotted down characters and a plot, and wrote out my first draft.  

 

I’m part of several FB groups, and I can’t stress enough how important it is for an author to be part of a writing community. To have an outlet where one can share experiences, ask questions, etc., is incredibly important. Sometimes, you need the connection, motivation, and understanding. It’s encouraging and a good source of learning.     

 

Some fun facts about you, which do you prefer – dogs or cats? Chocolate or vanilla? Coffee or Tea? Talk or Text? Day or Night? 

I adore dogs, but kind of a cat person.

Chocolate!

Coffee—no exceptions

I’m a texter

I prefer daytime


Book Description:

Sarafina di Ramonicci sets sail for America as the promised bride in an arranged political marriage. 

Taken prisoner at sea, she clashes with her captor and demands freedom, only to discover he is planning her future husband’s demise, with her as a pawn in their deadly feud. The challenge of escape tests her loyalty to family, human decency, and love. 

Captain Nye Tarquin is a dangerous man. Left to die on the streets of New Orleans, he swears retribution on the man responsible. When he makes Sarafina part of his plan, he isn’t prepared for the fiery vixen aboard his ship, nor his desire to claim her as his own. When passion overtakes honor, he’s torn between his heart and his need for justice. 


Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Precious-Burdens-Avery-Sterling-ebook/dp/B0C8VHNH3V


Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/precious-burdens-avery-sterling/1143685468?ean=2940160809335

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.