Friday, November 25, 2011

Interview with David Perlmutter


Briefly describe your journey in writing your book.
I started writing mostly as a way of entertaining myself and trying to create the characters and worlds I felt needed to exist. As I got older, I kept these ideals in mind and kept doing it, switching to writing short stories and novels from the film scripts I had been working on in order to create a financial means to an end. 

What genre are your books?  Do you write in more than one genre?
I write speculative fiction (science fiction, fantasy, horror) and an occasional mystery. I try to combine them when and if I can.

If you write in more than one genre, do you use a pen name?
No.

Did you query agents and traditional publishers?  Did you receive an offer of representation or a book contract?
I am concerned that agents will not deal with me if I am not a “name”, and likewise traditional publishers, so I haven’t tried to approach them yet. I am open to it if they approach me, however.

What factors influenced your decision to sign with Untreed Reads?
The financial arrangements it offered, as well as the amount of personal attention given to me by the editor and publisher.

How involved are you during the creative process for your book’s cover design?
I had no input on it.

Do you plan to self-publish any other books or will you stay with Untreed Reads?
I intend to keep working with Untreed Reads on a regular basis, as well as other publishers with which I work, since loyalty to those who support you is something I value in myself and other people.

What kinds of social media [twitter, facebook, webpage, blog, writing forums] are you involved with trying to garner attention for your book(s)?
I have a Facebook page and used it to promote some of my work. I also participate in the web forums for publishers that have published my work or where I have friends who are involved.

How do you feel about the world of digital publishing?  Do you think it will replace traditional publishing one day?
I am glad digital publishing has opened up new opportunities for new writers like myself, but my own reading habits are strictly of the print variety. I am hoping that a happy medium can exist between digital and traditional publishing and that they will learn from each other rather than trying to financially undermine each other.

What is the biggest thing you’ve learned during your journey as an author?
That there is a lot more bureaucracy and politics in the writing business than I realized, and that it is not always fair and equal in its dealings.

Do you have any advice for new authors?
Be patient if you get rejected and don’t blame yourself or others for your “failure”. You simply need to find an editor/publisher who likes and respects you and your work and then you can go from there.

What’s next for you?
My novella “Pups” is currently available from Twisted Library Press, in print form, at Createspace and Amazon.com. I have more e-books coming out soon from Untreed Reads, as well as from Books To Go Now, LLC. I will have a story in the upcoming Wicked East Press anthology “Read The End First” and some other upcoming projects from Static Movement. I also hope to find time to work on a novel project that I have been developing for several years and interest a major publisher in it, if possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your post will be published after administrator approval.