Monday, November 28, 2011

Interview with Thomas L Peters


Briefly describe your journey in writing your book. 
A literary agent who liked my work suggested that I write a novel centering around the appearance of a mysterious image in a small rural town.  I ran with it, and An Imperfect Miracle was the result.  It turned out that the book wasn’t exactly what the agent had in mind.  But I liked it, and I’m very glad that Jay Hartman of Untreed Reads Press liked it too.

What genre are your books?  Do you write in more than one genre?
An Imperfect Miracle is a coming-of-age literary adventure for readers of all ages.  I also write adult thrillers and action stories and some young adult and middle grade books.

If you write in more than one genre, do you use a pen name?
I use the name T.L. Peters for my self-pubbed works, and the name Thomas L. Peters for my works released by a publisher.  I don’t really know why.  I just got in the habit of doing it that way.

Did you query agents and traditional publishers?  Did you receive an offer of representation or a book contract?
I’ve been under contract by four different literary agents at various times.  I am currently unrepresented.

What factors influenced your decision to sign with Untreed Reads?
Untreed Reads handles literary fiction, which few e-publishers do.  They also routinely work with prominent literary agents, which means that Untreed Reads has credibility in the publishing world.

How involved are you during the creative process for your book’s cover design?
Not very.  I made some suggestions, but they weren’t very good.  I’m quite happy with the cover that Untreed Reads and the cover artist provided.

Do you plan to self-publish any other books or will you stay with Untreed Reads?
I plan to do both.  The big advantage of self publishing is that as soon as you’re finished with the book, you can release it for sale.  With a publisher you have to wait for the editing process, which can take months. 

What kinds of social media [twitter, facebook, webpage, blog, writing forums] are you involved with trying to garner attention for your book(s)?
I just blog.  You can visit me at http://tlpeters.blogspot.com.

How do you feel about the world of digital publishing?  Do you think it will replace traditional publishing one day?
It may not replace traditional publishing completely, but it will largely replace it.  Traditional publishers simply have too many fixed costs to make a go of it in the leaner and more nimble e book world.  And e books are clearly the wave of the future.

What is the biggest thing you’ve learned during your journey as an author?
Keep plugging away, and be open to new opportunities.

Do you have any advice for new authors?
Don’t be afraid to go the self publishing route.  And try to handle the cover design and marketing on your own rather than hiring a consultant or book packager.   They  can be expensive.

What’s next for you?
I’m halfway through the fourth volume of my new series, The Jake Stone Thrillers.

The first installment of the series, DECEPTION, A Jake Stone Thriller (Book One), is available in e book stores world wide, including through the following online book sellers:





2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Debra, for the nice interview. Continued good luck with your writing and blogging. Tom Peters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Tom and also, for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Your post will be published after administrator approval.